Public Health Nurses
We are lucky to have 2 Public Health Nurses working with our school this year.
Nikola Springford and Tina Vink...
Kia Ora & greetings from Public Health Nurses Niki & Tina J J our work and focus is on community health in particularly at allocated schools such as Hikurangi school.
We undertake a variety of roles including:
· Running immunisations programs in schools i.e Year7 students – Boostrix protecting against Tetanus, Diphtheria & Whooping Cough, Year8 students – HPV vaccine help prevent cancers caused by HPV infection.
· Assessing & referring children to other health professionals.
· Providing and promoting health education at the school e.g hand hygiene
· Visiting families/whanau in their homes to provide support and generally we will assess the child’s health needs & take appropriate action with the parent/caregiver’s consent.
· Providing follow-up care for families/whanau with notifiable diseases such as meningitis and work to help stop the spread of such diseases.
· We assess skin infections & provide treatment if necessary – parents will be contacted if treatment required.
We are supportive of the family/whanau’s privacy & confidentiality at all times.